[PD] FM problems

Matthew Allen matthew at lith.com
Fri Jul 18 18:49:38 CEST 2003

> From: Krzysztof Czaja [mailto:czaja at chopin.edu.pl]
>
> no... it has nothing to do with patch complexity -- it is just
> the case of connecting a feedback loop to an outlet~ causing
> Pd to crash.

But due to the complexity I couldn't track down (in my quick gander at the
patch) which connection was doing it. :)

To the original poster I have attached my work in progress 3-op FM synth.
Its uses z~ to give the users the ability to feedback any of the operators
to any other operator (including self feedback). You'll need Zexy of course
and IEMlibs for the interface.

My Apologies to Miller for stealing the basics from his docs, and also to
Native instruments for stealing their idea for the Operator matrix. I have
been programming fm synths since the SY77 came out and I was amazed when I
first saw this implemented. It just makes sense.

The patch itself is still in pre-alpha. The synthesis works, I'm just
working on an interface. Use the bang in the upper left to send note and
velocity info (unless you have a midi keyboard, then just play the
keyboard). I have some random pitch stuff going on so don't thik that that
is broken, just look in [PD FM_Pitch]. Make sure and set both the
feedback/output matrix and the envelopes under them.

m.