[PD] GEM (cvs) undefined symbol (Mesa, NVIDIA driver)

IOhannes zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.kug.ac.at
Tue Jul 22 09:10:08 CEST 2003

bbogart at ryerson.ca wrote:
> Hello Martin,
>
> I've not used the gem packages, only even compiled from source, but I've been suing gem with Nvidia drivers version 1??? 2??? 3??? and 4??? This is before the single-install drivers currently on the site.

> Ben
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've got a new problem.  I have a redhat 9 linux box with an Nvidia
>>GeForce4 card, and planet-ccrma packages installed.
>>
>>I've just tried running pd with gem (from the planetccrma
>>packages) and
>>got an 'undefined symbol' error. Recompiled gem from CVS and got the
>>same problem.
 >
 > Why don't you try compiling from source?

actually martin did...

>>After digging for a while, I found this page
>>(http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum4/HTML/000943.html)
>>One of the posters seems to imply that the nvidia linux drivers don't
>>support those functions.

hi,
am i missing something ?
what are the symbols undefined ?
i really have no idea how to help you...

>>The questions:
>>
>>1)       would it not be possible to change the gem makefile so
>>that it
>>does compile, minus whatever objects rely on whatever is missing/not
>>working?

actually, i thought that i had the configure-script fixed, so it does
detect "everything" that is there, fails if essential things are missing
and compiles ", minus whatever objects rely on whatever is missing".
i have no idea, how to detect "what is not working" (properly working).

>>2)       could someone explain to me how gem uses Mesa, and the glx
>>functions?  I'm very fuzzy on this.

gem is openGL-based. mesaGL is a free clone of openGL.
so if your system has only mesaGL installed, Gem will use mesa as the
rendering-engine.
if you have another openGL-engine installed, it will use this.
for instance, under windows and mac, Gem uses their implementations of
openGL.

>>3)       Is anyone using the nvidia linux drivers AND gem with
>>success?

yes, me.
it is my primary developping platform (although i am really sorry to say
that my laptop has this radeon mobility chip, which is no good)

there shouldn't be much problems because of openGL.

however, if your problems are because of something like "GLTTblah", then
it is very likely, that it is a compiler issue.
i have never tested the planetccrma-packages, but with debian, the
libgltt-binary is compiled with gcc-2.95.
if you compile gem with gcc>3.x the runtime linker will fail.
you will either have to compile gem with gcc-2.95 or gltt with gcc-3.x
to make it run.

note: this is nothing i can fix on the gem side;
note2: i guess planetccrma compile their packages themselves.

mfg.asd.r
IOhannes