[PD] Web interface for PD patch

matthijs at devdsp.net matthijs at devdsp.net
Tue Jul 22 17:35:30 CEST 2003

Hi,

I've just been messing around with netreceive, and it seems fairly easy:

Just insert a netreceive object in your patch [netreceive portnum]

Connect it however you want

On the web server, install a script that opens a tcp connection to your
PD server

Print regular PD messages (bang, float, etc) to the tcp connection.

I used Perl to send a numerical value to PD, which PD would then display
in a numbox. The PD patch was simply:

[netreceive 3000]

NUMBOX

And the Perl script read:

#!/usr/bin/perl

use IO::Socket;

$socket = new IO::Socket::INET (PeerAddr => "192.168.123.76",
                                PeerPort =>  3000,
				Proto    => "tcp",
				Type     => SOCK_STREAM)
				or die "Can't connect $!\n";
print $socket $ARGV[0] # this sends whatever command line argument you
                       # pass to the script to PD. Spiffy
print $socket ";";     # ; is PD's newline character. Don't forget
		       # to send this, or it won't work