[PD] Pd Automation

'Frank Barknecht' fbar at footils.org
Thu Jul 24 01:39:06 CEST 2003

Hallo,
Matthew Allen hat gesagt: // Matthew Allen wrote:

> 	Frank I approached this a little differently. I am using a bank of
> arrays that can be called up by accessing 64 buttons, separated in 4 bank
> (16 buttons a bank). Saving to a text file will save all 64 patterns to s
> ingle text file. Unless I am missing the point of what you are trying to do.

Saving into arrays is what I also normally do, but arrays are a bit
difficult to edit outside of Pd: They are just lists of numbers.
That's where textfiles come into play: You can prepare them in advance
in a text editor or spreadsheet, which sometimes is quite handy.

> 	At some point I would like to add the song functionality that Jass
> has, basically sequencing the sequences. The other things I have added to
> the basic step sequencer is the ability to control length per pattern, a
> roll function (not thoroughly tested yet), 4 outputs, and copy and paste.
> The sequencer itself really hasn't been tested as a GOP but at some point
> ill try this to.
>
> 	All of the arrays make this abstraction pretty huge (120k) but it's
> a great way to have a group of sequences set up right one you load the
> patch.
>
> 	And please go easy on me, if you find anything really dumb (besides
> for the 64 arrays to hold my data please tell me), as this was my first
> major patch (and I was really going to clean it up and post it, I just
> haven't been able to work on it since I started playing with the FM patch).
> I'm pretty happy with the UI, but I really need to set something up so that
> you know when a pattern has ended, and if you switch banks (A-D) and don't
> select something the original pattern is still selected when you go back to
> its bank (I should just post my to do list) :)

In my opinion your patch looks just fabulous. As your arrays are
downsized to the needed lenght, I don't see a big problem with the
memory. The patch is very clearly structured and looks very usable (I
didn't hammer it yet) and clever. In load_save there is a [metro
50]->[select 64] construction, that might be easier to read with an
[until] object, that gets sent a [64(, but that's a matter of taste.

ciao