[PD] GUI idea and some other thoughts

J. Scott Hildebrand jshildebrand at ucdavis.edu
Tue Aug 5 21:07:54 CEST 2003

      in my computer architecture classes we used a program called
MAXplus,
which is created by a company called altera. that software is used to
design CPUs, memory modules, all kinds of stuff. there are a lot of
similarities between that program's interface and Pd and Max/MSP. one
thing that i'd like to see in a new version of Pd is the ability to zoom
into a patch to see the details, or zoom out to see the whole thing...
kind of like in a waveform editor or a sequencer when you can be really
close to see all the detail or you can zoom out and see the entire
picture.

      also, in my opinion Pd is weak as a typical artist's tool to make
music. it's great for multimedia artists and sound artists, but for people
who are interested in more traditional forms of music might have a really
tough time. has anybody attempted to make a full-fledged
editor/sequencer/recording expansion for Pd? i'm thinking along the lines
of Premiere, Protools, Broadcast, Logic, Cubase, etc. BUT with
audio/video/MIDI capability and somehow being able to connect each event
to others in the traditional Pd manner. i know it's a lot of work but
might be easier for somebody who's written such a program that's
open-source... to learn a bit about Pd's framework and port/modify their
existing stuff.

scott

	"640K ought to be enough for anybody." -- Bill Gates, 1981