[PD] Structures without random

Bradon Webb bradonwebb at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 10 01:13:08 CEST 2003

Hello,

I am curious as to what type of structures everyone
uses for controling data.  There are probably millions
of ways of answering this and there will always be new
ways of thinking about it.  As much as I try to avoid
it I inevitably find myself putting one or two types
of random components in a patch to control a variable
paramater somewhere.  This is because I want to get
some numbers running through the system.  This seems
to be the quickest way to do this.  With the patch I
usually only interface with a mouse, and so that means
if I plan on having multiple things happen, I need a
way to automate them.  I have buit a step sequencer,
and a data recorder that will record atoms to a table
and play it back in the same order at variable speeds.
  But I had a someone suggest that I look into chaotic
systems as opposed to random systems.  I am not sure
what a chaotic system means though?  It seems as
though the way I am looking at it is more black and
white, like there is either complete structure, or
complete randomness.  Can someone help me get out of
this box I have put myself in????

Bradon~