[PD] tabread4~ granulator: patch in progress

derek at x-i.net derek at x-i.net
Mon Aug 18 16:16:40 CEST 2003

the zip attached here contains a file granulator patch i am working on, and
would like to ask for a little help with. the idea is based roughly on
the "Travellizer" patch from Reaktor, and uses various randomizers to read
from a tabread4~, and a line~ object to create each individual grain. the
version here has 32 voices maximum, and an "oscillator" which can be used to
scan back and forth in the sample.

"filegranulator1111.pd" is the parent patch, with multiple instances
of "gran111reader.pd" creating each individual voice.

the problems i am having are these:

1) converting between milliseconds and samples in my patch for some reason
turns into some very cryptic math [at least for me]. i can't quite get my
little tabread4~ to behave predictably. see "gran111reader.pd" for details.

2) the voices are set by a >= object, with a seperate value for each given as
creation argument. increasing the voices causes no trouble, but decreasing
causes a sharp spike in CPU activity and an interruption in the audio stream.
can anybody tell me why?

3) i cannot create multiple instances of "filegranulator1111.pd" because the
tables involved don´t seem to want to take their name from the patch creation
argument. how is this possible?

thanks in advance for any suggestions. the completed patch will be available
here and on a website when i know it is at least beta quality :-)

best,
derek