[PD] controlling/recording bang actions

David Sabine dave at davesabine.com
Sat Sep 6 02:34:07 CEST 2003

Hello all,

Brandon has a pretty good working example – and I hope you don’t mind but
I’m going to poke a couple of holes in it.

Actually, Brandon has already pointed out in the comments within the patch
some of the weaknesses of this example (for example, the need to save the
arrays separately).

I’d strongly recommend building this example around the [pool] object
instead of arrays.  In regards to storage devices for ‘key-value’ pairs, the
arrays:

a) only store numbers
b) can be saved-in-patch
c) but save-in-patch option inflates the file size of the .pd file
d) save-in-patch option doesn’t allow the user to migrate array data from
one patch to another (between sessions).  Array data can only be shared
amongst patches that are open simultaneously.
e) Array data that is ‘saved-in-patch’ is loaded when the patch is opened.
f) unloading and reloading the array requires the use of many text files (if
you're reading text files into arrays for example)

The [pool] object:

a) stores numbers and/or text
b) can save all data in .dat files to be used in a later session or by a
different patch
c) data can be shared at run time by all open patches
d) can store MANY pools in the same data file (great if you want to save
values of two or more patches all in the same data file)
e) or it can store MANY data files!
f) data is NOT stored directly in the .pd file – so the file never becomes
inflated by your data.
g) [pool] offers more (and easier) ways to manipulate data (easy to remove
or add to a pool, easy to drop the last element, or first element, or any
element in between, ‘easier’ to re-sort the values)
h) data can be loaded at any time – from any data file.

The [pool] object is certainly more versatile and is easier to control (it
has a steeper learning curve, but its functionality is VERY rewarding).

Just my thoughts:
Dave Sabine