[PD] system requirements video

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Sep 9 19:03:05 CEST 2003

marius schebella wrote:
> hi cgc,
>
> thank you, for your posting, I think i am coming along now
>

> Pentium. Still, I am glad to read that a lot is done by the hardware
> (graphic card) and an average PC with 1GHz+ should do it.

the hw-acceleration has to be used by the package in order to work
(no-na). in most (if not all) cases, hw-acceleration means
3D-hw-acceleration and not pixel-processing.
Gem is openGL-based which means, that it will use hw-acceleration (to do
3d-things and to display images, but not to do pixel-based effects).
however, things like blending to (moving) images can be done in openGL
(alpha-blending)
pdp has these openGL-packages, which will give you some acceleration
too, but i m not sure, whether you will have any benefit when doing
image-processing (i don't know about textures).
but i think, pdp has mmx support, so image-processing will be much faster.
with gridflow i really don't know, but i guess you will have no
hw-acceleration at all (but might have MMX also)

> latency actually is of importance, since the video should be like a mirror
> to the performer. but some ms are ok.
well, with 20fps you are getting latencies bigger than 50ms very fast
(this is just 1 frame!)

> I think all my questions are answered, only if there is a preferred graphic
> card, to be used?

if you want openGL-hw-acceleration try nvidia- or the new radeon-cards.

mfg.a.rd
IOhannes