[PD] 0.37 must 'Cut' cables?

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Mon Sep 15 00:50:55 CEST 2003

On Sunday 14 September 2003 18:38, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Sep 2003, Larry Troxler wrote:
> > Ok, maybe the analogy is poor, because in a circuit schematic, a line
> > represents a single node, and not data flow, so a better example would
> > be block diagrams or flow charts.
>
> I don't understand what you say. By node I would understand inlet or
> outlet, using the meaning from Graph Theory. Of course what goes along the
> lines is not quite like in PureData, and rather is the propagation of
> voltage difference and current, without differentiation between inlets
> and outlets... but none of those differences seem to affect layout so
> much that segmented patchcords go from relevant to irrelevant...

> Mathieu Bouchard                       http://artengine.ca/matju

Well, I think this is venturing on OT now, because I don't think it matters
very much. but in circuit theory, a node is a an idealization of a physical
single point - all points in a circuit diagram of a node are really the same
point  in the sense that the node is idealized as a piece of infinitessimally
low resistance conductor.   Different branches of the circuit may attach to
the node, and the total current flowing into to the node from all of the
branches equals zero.

Maybe in graph theory a node is an inlet or outlet - if that is the case I
think that the notion of a "node" in pure graph theory must be different then
that of a "node" in circuit theory. In circuit diagrams, nothing propogates
along the lines, because any connected group of lines is electrically a
single point.

And I agree that this diversion is exactly just that, for that I am sorry :-)

Larry