[PD] tcl brackets bug

Mathieu Bouchard matju at sympatico.ca
Tue Sep 16 03:32:12 CEST 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, ix wrote:

> renaming the offending []s to something else with a text editor fixes
> the issue. i've had tcl get confused with []-containing variables
> before, due to the way it uses them like ` backticks to embed other
> functions. maybe changing [ to \[ in the proper place in the code
> would fix it...

Something quite wrong with PD, I think, is that there is no systematic
inlining of strings inside of GUI code. This leads to bugs like the above
on one hand, but on the other hand, leads to hasty fixes / kludges, like
that the braces {} are forbidden inside objectboxes.

For example, in jMax, you can pass list parameters to object constructors
like this:

[@for {0 0} {240 320} {1 1}]

Using the same @for external class, but from PD instead, has led to
something that could have been:

[@for { 0 0 } { 240 320 } { 1 1 }]

because PD doesn't parse those delimiters as delimiters, but as regular
characters, so they have to be wrapped in space. However:

{: dropped
}: dropped

happens when trying to use {} inside of those boxes, so yet another syntax
had to be added in my external:

[@for ( 0 0 ) ( 240 320 ) ( 1 1 )]

with parens instead.