[PD] denormalized numbers bugfix in PD

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Sat Sep 20 18:42:18 CEST 2003

derek at x-i.net schrieb:
> also, what about the diferences between windows and linux in the way denormals
> are handled. i use the exact same version of PD, 0.36-0, under both systems, but
> have VERY different results. a patch which hovers nicely at about 35% CPU usage
> under windows has nasty denormal-explosions under Linux!

This also seems to be compiler related. On Windows there are differences
between VC++ 6.0 and Intels C++ compiler (haven't tested VC++ 7.0).
Someone once posted a patch that was easily producing these CPU
'explosions' and I tested it with Pd compiled with Intel compiler, the
result was much better.
There is still a Intel-compiled Pd version on my website, try
http://www.akustische-kunst.org/puredata/experimental/pd0.37-test4-win-P4.zip
to see whether it makes a difference for you. Sorry, just 0.37test4 but
I could compile a new one if need be.

Dont know how different compilers behave on Linux, maybe you can just
give it a try.

Olaf