[PD] pd cvs and packages

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Tue Sep 23 06:03:49 CEST 2003

On Monday, Sep 22, 2003, at 20:04 America/New_York, Thomas Grill wrote:

> Hi Miller, hi all,
> i'm about to update the cvs considering the latest pd release.
>
> I stumbled over (at least) two points:
> - there's no paf~ in my pd for Windows package anymore. Is this
> intended?

I don't know about this object, but we are sorely in need of a Windows
distro maintainer... people have contributed work, but no one has made
a complete package like Guenter's debian packages and my MacOS X
packages (following in Adam Lindsay's footsteps).

> - for the extras, there are (the same) helpfiles in the extra folder,
> as
> well as in the subfolders therein. Which one is the right location?

AFAIK, the correct location for help patches is pd/doc/5.reference.
That's where my MacOS X installer puts them all.

> Also apart from that, it is becoming increasingly difficult to keep
> the cvs
> in sync with the releases, mainly because of the different platforms
> and the
> various portaudio/portmidi dependencies.
> I'm i right suspecting that you, Miller, have a source tree that is
> equivalent to the one in the cvs? If this assumption is correct would
> it be
> too difficult if you checked in the main branch each time there is a
> new
> release?
> Keeping the development branches in sync would then also be much
> easier.

Also, we have Access Control Lists set up in the CVS, so the Pd sources
could be safely maintained in the CVS without anyone else having
write/commit access.

Also, Yves requested ChangeLogs for Pd, which would be quite helpful
for Pd developers and users.  Maintaining code in CVS makes ChangeLogs
really easy.  Just run cvs2cl and it will make a ChangeLog from all of
the checkin comments.  But this of course assumes that the developers
write comments for every checkin (which they should!).

.hc

                                     http://at.or.at/hans/

realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
		                                     -William Carlos Williams