[PD] 0.37 and linux/jack ("official" and CVS)

Luke Yelavich luke at audioslack.com
Mon Sep 29 05:35:17 CEST 2003

At 12:50 PM 29/09/2003, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
>Although it can work at less than 512 frames with jack, it quickly
>becomes unusable. I guess the gui is still tied too closely with the
>audio processing...
>
>One curious behavior I found is this:
>- start jack (sr=48000)
>- bring up the test audio panel
>- start the test tone
>- stop audio processing
>- start audio processing
>- generated test tone goes up in pitch... apparently it thinks it is
>   processing at 44.1 but jack is running at 48k.

Yeah, I can reproduce this as well. Something needs to be added to force PD
to use JACK's sample rate. I might have a dig around in the source to see
if I can find anything related to this.

The problem itself goes back to the way PD interfaces with JACK, which is
IMO dirty. When one starts the audio in PD, a JACK client is created, but
once the audio stops, the client is completely closed, and all pports
vanish. My patch only parcially fixes this as the JACK client was not being
closed properly. A better, more perminant sollution needs to be put in
place, as once one stops the audio processing, any connections that the
user may have created are lost.

This doesn't fix your PortAudio problem however.

Luke

Luke Yelavich
AudioSlack Founder and main package maintainer
Audio software packaged for the Slackware Linux Distribution
http://www.audioslack.com
luke at audioslack.com