[PD] PD Mac OS X installers

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Sep 29 18:47:38 CEST 2003

(I am CC'ing the list because your message has useful info)

This current install on my pure-data.org page has a version of GEM
optimized for G4 in it already.  To enable it, you need to add this
line to your ~/.pdrc:

-lib Gem

There are a few other libs which are included in this install.  To use
them, you need:
				 -lib iemlib1
				 -lib iemlib2
				 -lib iem_mp3
				 -lib iem_t3_lib
				 -lib pdp
				 -lib zexy

For GEM and PDP, you'll need to install a number of libraries as well.
I use http://Fink.sf.net to install them.  If you have fink installed
already, running this command will install everything you need:

sudo apt-get install glut glut-shlibs gsl-shlibs libpng-shlibs libpng3
libpng3-shlibs libquicktime0-shlibs libmpeg libmpeg-shlibs ffmpeg

-Hans

On Monday, Sep 29, 2003, at 06:34 America/New_York, Dupras, Martin
wrote:

> Hi Hans,
>
> Thanks for getting back to me. I did get it all running in
> the end.
>
> What I ended up was de-install everything, and log in as
> root before doing the install; I think that before that I
> was a normal user but had entered the root password during
> installation instead. In any case, it's now all working
> fine.
>
> Many thanks on a great installer. Do you have any plans of
> making an installer that would also install Gem? That would
> be immensely useful for us. Just a thought.
>
> Cheers,
>
> - martin
>
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 00:01:56 -0400 Hans-Christoph Steiner
> <hans at eds.org> wrote:
>

>> What version of MacOS X are you running?
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Wednesday, Sep 24, 2003, at 15:34 America/New_York, Martin Dupras
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Hans,
>>>
>>> Thanks for your reply. I don't have the computer at the moment so I'm
>>> doing this from memory.
>>>
>>> At first I tried your installer and chose the default location.
>>> Everything somehow managed to install itself in the Applications
>>> folder,
>>> so I had Applications/bin, Applications/doc, etc, and
>>> Applications/usr/local/bin and so on. After that I tried installing
>>> into
>>> a brand new Applications/pd0.37 folder. Somehow this didn't appear in
>>> the installer (it let me choose it though), but that installed in
>>> there,
>>> but once again with the strange dir structure as above.
>>>
>>> I'm not quite sure what is going on there, I'll have another look
>>> tomorrow. It looks to me like that for some reason the install
>>> doesn't
>>> see /usr/local, but I don't know why that is.
>>>
>>> I'll try de-installing everything and reinstalling from scratch
>>> tomorrow. Do you advise that I should specify /usr/local/pd as a
>>> destination, or something else?
>>>
>>> Many thanks!
>>>
>>> - martin

>>> as
>>> default?
>>>

>>> It should install Pd into:
>>> /usr/local/bin
>>> /usr/local/lib/pd
>>>
>>> CVS externals into:
>>> /usr/local/lib/pd/extra
>>> /usr/local/lib/pd/doc/5.reference
>>>
>>> And the Pd.command GUI launcher into:
>>> /Applications
>>>

>>> Are most of the files installed there?  Where else are they
>>> installed?
>>>
>>> Also, I don't know if things will work right if you have both Adam's
>>> and
>>> my installers installed.  You can use OSXPM to uninstall packages.
>>> You
>>> can get OSXPM
>>> here: ftp://us.osxgnu.org/pub/osxgnu/OSXPM/OSXPackageManager.sit
>>>

>>> .hc

>>> strange

>>> not

>>> the
>>> relative

>>> 	zen
>>> 	   \
>>> 	    \
>>> 	     \
>>>

>>> This incoming email to UWE has been independently scanned for viruses
>>> and any virus detected has been removed using McAfee anti-virus
>>> software
>>>

>>                                      http://at.or.at/hans/
>>

>> This incoming email to UWE has been independently scanned for viruses
>> and any virus detected has been removed using McAfee anti-virus
>> software

                                     http://at.or.at/hans/

____

realize his wishes.
Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
		                                     -William Carlos Williams