[PD] Re: [PD-announce] New beta version of MacOS X installer

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Oct 3 17:54:30 CEST 2003

On Friday, Oct 3, 2003, at 10:37 America/New_York, <ben at ekran.org>
wrote:

> Hey Hans-Christoph,
>
> Matt and I made a OSX package for a class we're teaching (had to make
> it
> just before your first package came out!) Anyhow we did make a PD icon
> that sits inside the PD folder in Applications. Please feel free to use
> the icon, and if the config is any help.

> You can download the installer at:
>
> www.ekran.org/pd/PD-Installer.dmg
>
> Hope it is helpful!

I'll take a look.

> (Are you going to start including the whole CVS prebuilt in your
> package?)

That is my intention.  Currently, darwin_pkg/Makefile compiles almost
everything that's in the package from the CVS sources. You can build it
yourself if you want:

mkdir pure-data && cd pure-data
tar xzf pd-0.37-0.src.tar.gz  ( or cvs co -r devel_0_37 pd )
cvs darwin_pkg
cvs co externals
cvs co abstractions
cvs co doc   ( you can also just "cd darwin_pkg && make checkout" to do
this)
cd darwin_pkg
make darwin_mpkg   (that'll make all of the sub-pkgs and the .mpkg to
install them all)
make dmg   (if you want a .dmg archive)

You'll probably have to comment out the sections in
pure-data/darwin_pkg/Makefile about "noncvs" and "nqpoly" since they
aren't in the CVS.  I'd love help with this if you have time.  I'd like
to add the new chaos, pdp/PiDiP/gem2pdp GEM, OSC, gripd, xgui, footils,
vasp, etc. from the CVS.  Really, I'd like everything possible in this
package, and ideally, I could just check it out from the CVS and type:
"make" and have a ready-to-go installer.

> Thanks for the linux-ppc tips, things seems further along then I
> thought.
> Do you remeber where you heard about doing the dual monitor stuff? I
> had
> thought that that stuff was barley supported using the ATI binary
> driver
> under i386 linux... I obviously have a lot of reading to do. It does
> sure
> sound like I could get the best of both worlds on the powerbook... I
> wonder if I could get airport xtreme and firewire to work? (oh dear,
> bleeding edge)

AFAIK, the ATI support was in alpha in the spring, so it hopefully is
better now.  I only really do sound, so I didn't look into it that
much.  You definitely can get firewire and regular airport working, but
I don't know anything about airport extreme.  Since the MacOS X kernel
is open-source (http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/apsl.html ), its probably
likely that there are drivers for all the hardware.   I know that the
volume and brightness keys are supported under linux, for example.  But
I must say that the PowerBook support is not polished.  Expect to spend
some time getting the non-standard things to work.  (For example, video
will work out of box but not with all of the acceleration).

.hc