[PD] os x gem fullscreen

cgc at humboldtblvd.com cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Sun Oct 26 19:33:44 CET 2003

Quoting "B. Bogart" <ben at ekran.org>:

> Hey all,
>
> If you use "secondscreen 1" you can't use the full screen message, you
> just
> use the create message as normal.
>
> Also for Gem you have to set most the window properties BEFORE you
> create
> the window! This goes for dimen, fullscreen, secondscreen, offset. I
> think
> color and rendering are the only things you can change after having
> created
> the window.

some more info about the 'secondscreen' message:

- it will attempt to resize the attached display to the size 'dimen x y' is set
to, but I have set the minimum/default to a 'safe' 640x480 since most displays
will do VGA resolution.
- if you set something smaller than 640 on x or 480 on y it will use the default
- there is no checking done in GEM for valid display dimensions, but the OS
should handle bad dimensions gracefully.
- GEM will not set the refresh rate
- secondscreen is primarily designed for easy setup in performance environments.
 both Jamie and I have powerbooks and regularly use them in that role.

It might be better to roll this functionality into the 'fullscreen' message by
adding another argument for the display number.  The message would look like this:

[fullscreen on/off display# (

So 'fullscreen 1 0' would display fullscreen on the main monitor (also omitting
the arg for display would default to the main screen), and 'fullscreen 1 1'
would use an atached monitor.

> See if that helps with the crashes at all. I've never had gem crash
> when
> creating windows.

The code used for secondscreen is right out of the Apple docs, and I personally
haven't had any problems with it after adding the checks for minimum display
bounds.  All other errors have been handled by the OS just fine.

cgc