[PD] Some VASP questions

Larry Troxler lt at westnet.com
Mon Nov 10 00:11:33 CET 2003

Hi, I have some questions about, guess what? - VASP!

I'm trying to put together a simple FFT scope.

Here are some things I'm not sure about.

First, How should I use the "detach" message, assuming that i want my scope to
run always in a seperate thread (so that there's no issues in switching it
back and forth)? Should I send the "detach" message first, before starting
processing?

Next, "vasp.window" apparently doesn't handle the "to" message, so how do I
deal with that? I thought the approach would be to chain all the objects to
gether and send the first one a "to" message to set the source and
destination arrays, and everything would be well.

Now about the fft stuff - I am not sure what vasp.rfft does actually. It seems
like that's what I want to use, becuase I'm dealing with an audio signal. But
what does it output, and how does that map into a PD array? Is it generating
the full complex FFT, including the redundant conjugates? And are only the
real compenents of this making it to the arrary, or is there a mag operation
done before writing to the array? And if so, is there a way that I can write
only the magnitudes of the first half of the output to my array?

IOW basically, for an FFT of a real signal, I only want the first half, so my
output array should be half the length of the input array. And for simple
energy plot, each point in the array should be the magnitude vector of the
corresponding point in the FFT.

Is this somehow what is already done, or do I need to do something else to
accomplish this?

Thanks in advance!

Larry