[PD] Re: Some VASP questions

Thomas Grill t.grill at gmx.net
Wed Nov 12 09:51:51 CET 2003

> > Not really. Do you get those messages from my attached patch or from
> > another one?
>
> From the attached patch. However, it does not happen all the time, and so
far
> I haven't found a sequence that reliably reproduces the problem.
>
> First question, which would pre-empt the rest of this message: are there
any
> bug fixes between 0.36-devel and 0.37 that I'm missing that could relate
> this?

There have been some changes in the threading model that could have an
influence.
To see if the threading is buggy you could try to remove all the detach
flags (maybe it's best to do that in the patcher text file) and try again.

> Next, I haven't looked at the source yet to see what generates this
message.

You will have hard times to debug the VASP source if you're not familiar
with it

> The only corelation I suspect (and I could be easily be wrong about this,
it's
> just a vague suspicion), is that this is somehow an indirect artifact of
the
> current TK bug (where you get a message about "bad screen distances",
> sometimes followed by "illegal command name", when loading a patch or
moving
> a graph). However I can't imagine what the connection might be, and I
suspect
> it could be just a coincidence.

I don't think it's related to that - it looks like a genuine VASP bug.

best greetings,
Thomas