[PD] SGI/IRIX

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Sun Nov 16 17:15:50 CET 2003

hi olaf,

these are some pretty interesting "benchmarks", espc in regards to the
performance of your SGI! it inspired me to do some late night shopping
for old SGI machines here in holland. seems you can pick up a 200 MHz
Octane, or a dual 150 MHz, for something like EUR 350-400. this is
interesting, because i intend to equip a Linux-based media lab sometime
in the future, so i hope you don't mind if i ask some basic questions...

like:

can you use linux, or only IRIX? if linux is runnable, which distro? i
get conflicting info when i google around as to whether or not there are
working linux ports for SGI machines.

how is general audio performance on this machine? i was quite amazed at
the cpu speed-to-pd performance ratio. i know that SGIs were intended
mainly as rendering machines, so i assume that they have some kinds of
optimization in the processor for floating point numbers, etc etc. i saw
that you use pd 0.36 over 0.37 for reasons of the Portaudio... are other
problems you have noticed regarding software incompatibilities?

if you are buying an older SGI, like one of the first series O2s or
Octanes, how is support for more modern PCI cards, like soundcards or
firewire cards?

last question: are SGIs more efficient with RAM? it seems like all the
machines i saw were pretty low in this dept [maybe that's why there are
cheap!]

thanks + best,
d.