[PD] streamin~ / streamout~ format

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Mon Nov 17 01:10:11 CET 2003

guenter geiger schrieb:
> (and that would mean support for "raw" data as well as more CPU intensive
> compressed formats such as mpeg and ogg).

ogg does no compression. It just defines how to pack data into packages.
This data can be vorbis compressed, flac or probably even raw audio
data.

> At the end it would be nice to have one streaming object pair that can
> do everything instead the different externals that we currently have.
> (like mp3, ogg and the strange streamin/streamout format).

Hhm, the main difference I see here is that mp3 and ogg are server based
sreaming externals. So one needs a server running to connect to. No
direct connection between apps like with streamin/out~. Yves has made a
similar thing with mp3, but it's in no way compatible to 'ordinary' mp3
streaming.

Olaf