[PD] latency

plessas at sbox.tugraz.at plessas at sbox.tugraz.at
Mon Nov 17 02:19:47 CET 2003

Dear List,

I just want to add one comment to the latency issue in pd.
I understand that there is a big advantage in using portaudio in pd. I am very
glad that pd runs on any platform I've run across so far, but investing a lot
of money into fast computers (to achieve low latency) is a serious matter I am
indeed willing to do. On the other side, what does high cpu power help, if the
lowest latency i get on is approx. 30msec? (I don't know if the low-latency
kernel-patching people under linux are achieving better results).
I'd like to be able to use pd in all those situations where you need lower
latency, like realtime processing of acoustic instruments, dj's, and whatever
is implied by the term "realtime".
I feel strange by asking for other possibilities than using Portaudio, since I
appreciate very much all programming work everyone has done in the community,
which would not be available to all users of different platforms.
I'd just like to hear the opinions of some people on the list, and I just don't
want to be caught using max for running patches which require latencies lower
than 30msec. I am so glad to use pd!

Keep on the discussion, let's make pd even better!

thanks!
have a nice week!
Peter_P