[PD] Pd in white on black

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Tue Nov 18 15:00:15 CET 2003

Marc Lavallée schrieb:

> On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 01:11:03PM +0100, Olaf Matthes wrote:
>
> > If we could run the Tcl/Tk GUI in a web browser (using the Tcl/Tk
> > PlugIn) that would make Pd the perfect multi-user tool for the web.
>
> What about Flash with the flashserver external? What's needed is a small
> toolkit to create flash documents with special widgets for PD. Some of us
> will complain that Flash is proprietary, and I agree, it's "wrong"...
> There's also the Tcl/Tk web plugin, but the release version is too old,
> and the cvs version don't work.

I haven't checked the Tcl/Tk PlugIn for some time (maybe years), so
maybe it's not really up to date. It just came to my mind because it
would require only minor changes to the Pd code, I guess.

With flash, as CK already pointed out, we wouldn't be able to support
all platforms Pd is currently working on. And additionally, a GUI for Pd
could even be worth running on machines Pd is not running on.

So what about Java Applets? There should be Java support for almost
every platform. But then we're getting damn close to the jMax way of
doing it... and they seem to try to get rid of their Java GUI for some
reason.

Technically speaking I could imagine something like this: hack pd-gui to
become a server application and write a client software in (probably)
Java to connect to it. The hacked pd-gui would then convert the Tcl/Tk
stuff into something our client app likes. But that's probably pretty
close to what Hans-Christoph is working on.

Olaf