[PD] GUI and such

Josh Steiner josh at vitriolix.com
Sun Nov 23 20:18:18 CET 2003

exactly.  switching to gtk+/fltk/wx/qt isnt a magic bullet that will
suddenly provide better usability, in fact, it will greatly slow down
getting pd to a more usable state since it will require 1) a massive
overhaul of pd itself, which will slow down work on the real issues you
mention, and 2) the rewriting of every single gui external.   so far i
have yet to hear of any real significant gain from doing this either...
why does it matter what toolkit is drawing the menu's?  some may say
"performance" or "better looking gui" but really the look of pd isnt
determined by the toolkit, but the design of the gui objects and object
boxes themselves, changing to another toolkit wont change the look much
at all.  as for performance, i think there is much profiling and
optimization yet to be done with the current gui.  as for prrtty
menu/pref panel widgets: tcl/tk supports native os look on mac os X +
windows, i've seen some mention of some people making it able to adapt
to the look of gtk+ on linux too.

the widget set used is really not a big factor in the usability of the
end result.

of course, all in my humble opinion :)

-josh