(That C++ is slower thing again) Re: the damned GUI - was:[PD] Pd in white on black and OSC

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Sun Nov 23 21:45:53 CET 2003

Marc Lavallée schrieb:
> Once dissambled, binaries of the C code compiled with gcc and g++
> are exactly the same, so they probably run at the same speed.
> The C++ code produces mode machine instructions than the C code,
> so it probably takes more time to run than its C equivalent.
>
> I'm not an expert, and this exercice is probably bogus.

I don't want to compare performance speed between C and C++, just wanted
to note that (on Windows) Intel's C (and C++) compiler sometimes
produces binaries that are 3 or 4 times the size of MS VC++ compiled
binaries! On the other hand they need _less_ CPU and/or _less_ memory to
execute.
Bigger binaries do _not_ necessarily mean slower execution speeds...

Olaf