[PD] [offtopic] Re: That C++ is slower thing again

mark mark at junklight.com
Sun Nov 23 23:12:32 CET 2003

This is an argument that is utterly ridiculous in this day and age.

I used to have it with the box coders (the guys that wrote
emebeded and onboard code) when I worked for a racing car
firm many years ago. Then, they had a point. On a modern PC
loaded with a busy operating system (linux suffers less here
perhaps  than windows but there is still a lot going on) I defy
ANYONE to detect a difference between what is essentially
a few extra pointer de-references.

There is still a noticable difference between GUI's written in
cross platform languaues - replete with garbage collection etc.
and native applications accessing the graphical API directly
but that is because there is a huge amount of translation going on.

yes - C++ is marginally slower than C but unless you are working
in a tiny amount of memory on low power processor I doubt it will
effect you at all. Even the box coders would win their arguments
based on memory usage against speed more often than not

cheers

mark