[PD] looking for max/msp equivalents of some pd simple objects

julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net julien.breval at tremplin-utc.net
Mon Nov 24 17:15:03 CET 2003

hello

I was wondering about the Max/MSP equivalents of these Pure Data objects :

[tabsend~] (sends continuously a block to an array)
[tabreceive~] (receives continuously a block)
[block~] (choose the size of the dsp block, and overlap, for the current
subpatch)
[bang~] (bang after each dsp cycle, the size of a dsp cycle is set by [block~])

what would you use ?
it looks like these four objects are very specific to Pure Data

I am currently porting my Pd abstractions to Max/MSP, and I often use these
objects, especially for spectral applications
I know the FFT is implemented completely differently under Max (with [pfft~])

There are some solutions for replacing the above objects under Max (for example
[groove~] instead of [tabreceive~]), but most of these solutions are
millisecond-based, not sample-based ;
[bang~], for example, sends a bang message "after each logical DSP cycle" of
the sub-window

is there a difference of accuracy between ms and samples ? if you convert an
integer number of samples (like 4096) to a time in milliseconds depending on a
frequency rate, you always get a floating point number, therefore a very small
error ; but that error may be cumulated if the operation is repeated many times

any information will be appreciated !