[PD] MIDI patching via kaconnect under Linux

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Nov 27 10:14:03 CET 2003

Hallo,

Larry Troxler hat gesagt: // Larry Troxler wrote:

> On Wednesday 26 November 2003 21:59, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> > Hallo,
> >
> > I wrote a decent Howto about this. Search Google for my name and
> > "Sequencer Softsynth Midi Quicktoot/Howto". Basically it's: Yes, you
> > need a virmidi card to connect Pd to the aconnect/ALSA sequencer
>                         ^^^^
>
> Ouch, no! You don't need another card, just the virmidi device driver!

But from the point of the ALSA system it's handled like a card, it's
even called "card4" or so by default. *Real* cards with real Midi
ports are automatically shown in the sequencer subsystem.  You don't
need virmidi to read from your soundcards input with Pd. But if you
want to make virtual connection between software, where one part is
not capable of handling the ALSA sequencer directly, you will have to
fool it. For that you need a snd-virmidi module driven thinggie. Well,
a virtual midi card.

ciao