[PD] PD + Gentoo

Jonathan Kraut krautj at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 30 19:08:30 CET 2003

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 15:00:29 +0100, derek holzer wrote:
>1) Has anybody actually built Gentoo's PD 0.37 ebuild? Jack breaks the
>compile of it on my machine, and when Jack support is removed, then it
>breaks because of gcc 3.3. Both of these are documented bugs.

Haven't tried the ebuild in portage, but it worked fine with
pd-0.37-1test1 from Miller's site, but with gcc-3.2.3 and jack-0.90.1.
(I believe gcc-3.3 is still marked unstable in gentoo?  Could that be a
problem?) Test1 seems to fix a lot of the stability problems pd had when
talking to jack. Anyway, here's a link to an ebuild:

http://home.earthlink.net/~krautj/files/pd-0.37.1_beta1.ebuild

>2) Has anybody else compiled PD manually on Gentoo, only to find that it
>doesn't start up with ALSA [although it runs with Jack fine?]. With the
>HDSP, PD will open the GUI, but will not connect to the sound card.
>Also, no files can be opened or started in this state. Something to do
>with non-interleaved mode.

I usually run pd with either jack or automatic oss emulation, and I
don't have an HDSP.  Sorry can't help there.

>3) [As a sidenote:] does anybody else find Gentoo's ALSA packages
>incomplete? Mine are missing Alsaconf, hdspconf, hdsploader and probably
>some other odds and ends.

Don't know about hdspconf or hdsploader, but alsaconf should be in
alsa-utils.  I think it moved around once or twice.

>grrrrrr........
>
>D.

-jon

--------