[PD] re: state saving

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Dec 1 02:09:18 CET 2003

Hallo,
Josh Steiner hat gesagt: // Josh Steiner wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> >Hallo,
> >David NG McCallum hat gesagt: // David NG McCallum wrote:
> >

> >>My requirements for state saving are... that the settings files be saved
> >>in the path of the parent patch.
> >>

> >But this is not a requirement of state saving as a concept, or is it
> >to you?
> >

> i think it is if you want to make state information easily portable
> between computers.  if the state text files get saved in the same folder
> as the rest of the project you are working on it would be trivial to
> just zip that whole folder and email it to a friend... having the state
> files stored centrally is a pain.

No, I'm not talking about saving all states it centrally, but saving
all states of one patch in a single file, and that file *could* still
be in the working directory, but it wouldn't *have* to be.
(Motivation: I use the same patch for different pieces. I can just
keep my state files somewhere I like and I am not obliged to put them
in the patch directory, which might even be write proteced, btw.)

ciao