[chris at mccormick.cx: Re: [PD] Announcing "RRADical Pd"]

Chris McCormick chris at mccormick.cx
Mon Dec 1 16:05:21 CET 2003

Just realised it sent this to Frank, but not to list.

Also realized in light of discussion on automation that my last
paragraph is somewhat obsolete.

Chris.

----- Forwarded message from Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx> -----

From: Chris McCormick <chris at mccormick.cx>
To: Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org>
Subject: Re: [PD] Announcing "RRADical Pd"

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 01:41:17PM +0100, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Hallo,
> Chris McCormick hat gesagt: // Chris McCormick wrote:
>
> > * All sliders/controls have a standard range (i.e. 0 to 1 or 1 to 0) -
> > the patches will internally scale the value to what they need. (eg.
> > x20000 for filter cutoff)
>
> Actually I probably would prefer them to stay at 0-127 because of midi
> comatibility, but maybe this even wouldn't be necessary to unify...

Sounds good to me. I'll update my patches.

> There might very well be values that are useful to send but that are
> not needed to be contained in a GUI object. For example in your
> s-distortion the filename of the shaper array could come from outside.
>
> I would prefer to keep things localized through $0-arguments as much as
> possible. What are the areas, where global access is needed? I could
> think of the following ones:
>
> * Persistance. Saving probably should be centralized as much as
>   possible.
>
> * External control: After seeing some OSC patches, I'm very fond of
>   the idea to use OSC for all communication outside the abstractions.
>   Inside of them I think, normal send/receives would be enough, but
>   OTOH once you start to do OSC, there might not be much need for it.
>
> * More?
>
> I could figure an approach where you have one highly reused
> abstraction that would be used to wrap above points:
>
>  [r $0-somevalue-read]
>  [persistance_and_control_wrapper $1] <= use $1 for all global actions
>  [s $0-somevalue-write]

Beautiful. I'll start doing this, and also add OSC routing to my
patches.

I think as you standardise the Rradical framework you'll get a bunch of
common patches like [communicate $1] which everyone will want in common.
Perhaps we should start a CVS repository for these? (and other rradical
patches?)

Also, I was thinking about persistance not just of settings, but
persistance across time (e.g. the settings of your mixer at time=0 are
different from those 5 seconds into yr piece). It might be nice to come
up with a standard framework to build patches around with this kind of
persistance in mind. It seems from your posts taht you're already
devising an implementation of this. I guess we could have a standard
send variable for number of ticks or something like that. Then when we
build GOP sequencers they will use this standard.

Chris.

chris at mccormick.cx
http://www.mccormick.cx
http://www.hypercube.com.au