[PD] [OT] open.src == art

jonCates jcates at artic.edu
Thu Dec 4 19:48:34 CET 2003

on Wed, 3 Dec 2003 23:37:16 -0500 Marc =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lavall=E9e?=
<odradek at videotron.ca> wrote:

>Free software, for example, can be artistic, partly because of its
>agenda, and because we can appreciate >ideas expressed through human
>readable code.

this is an interesting pt + one that we (criticalartware) have used
when we have discussed projects built in PD by nullpointer (Tom
Betts) in relationship to Dan Sandin's Image Processor.
Dan Sandin released his Image Processor, a patch-programmable analog
computer optimized for video processing + synthesis, freely + openly.
When he developed the I.P. in 1973 and Phil Morton sought to copy the
device they began to work together to create the schematic plans
which they called the "Distribution Religion". the Distribution
Religion was then given to the community and any
[additions/modifications] were incorporated in any further releases.
criticalartware will be posting the Distribution Religion so as to
make it available online to anyone interested in this system. we will
also be releasing an interview w/Dan in which he describes the
development of the system and his thoughts on its use, artware + open
source as well as other [related/divergent] [issues/ideas].
jonCates
/**
* <coreDeveloper>
* <http://www.criticalartware.net>