[PD] pd-jack no-go, the addendium

Wade McDaniel pdman at aproximation.org
Fri Dec 5 19:15:23 CET 2003

Just for kicks I tried:
jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw:1 -r 48000 -p 512
and
pd -jack -r 48000 -audiobuf 10
but now pd wont even start (but no errors from jack)
[wade at transport wade]$ pd -jack -r 48000 -audiobuf 10
couldn't open MIDI input device 0
couldn't open MIDI output device 0
opened 0 MIDI input device(s) and 0 MIDI output device(s).
Testing for Jack
audio I/O stuck... closing audio

Segmentation fault
[wade at transport wade]$ pd_gui: pd process exited

So, what up with that? Do I need to change the ownership of some pd or jack files?
Now when I run jackd and pd as root it works (perhaps now because I specify the period for jack?
sudo jackd -R -d alsa -d hw:1 -r 48000 -p 1024
jackd 0.90.1
sudo pd -jack -r 48000 -audiobuf 10

This worries me that nothing is certan in this pd-linux world...
-theconfused