[PD] [ot] rme hammerfall

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Fri Dec 5 23:10:47 CET 2003

Hi Tim,

So, you ready for the HDSP challenge? ;-)

I've been fighting with mine for a good time now, so maybe I have a few
words or other concerns to bring up here:

1) I don't know the status of this firmware problem that Johannes T.
brings up. Supposedly, newer versions of the card's firmware aren't
supported. I have an older card which I downgraded the firmware on
anyway, but it might be good to ask on the ALSA list about this if you
are buying a brand-spanking-new one.

2) I couldn't get my PCMCIA bridge [laptop= ASUS L7 series] to work at
all with Mandrake or Red Hat. This means it is sketchy at best to use
the cardbus interface [for me, with my hardware and these distros.]
Debian and Gentoo work fine, however. Weird. What distro do you use?

3) Right now, with ALSA 0.9.8 packages from Gentoo, I can only use the
HDSP+Alsa via Jack. Otherwise, I get errors about non-interleaved mode
which I didn't get using older versions of Alsa under Debian, and which
I don't get with new Alsa versions using the PCI card under Red
Hat/Planet CCRMA. Go figure! But it performs quite well with Jack! Jack
can handle the 8x2 analog channels, plus more if you feel like having
lots of internal routing [i.e. virtual ports to record in Rezound or
Ardour, FX sends + returns to Jack-Rack]. This is my favorite thing
about Jack!

4) Alsa has some nice utilities for the HDSP, such as hdspmixer or
hdspconf, and also tools you will NEED to run the card, such as hdsploader!

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 19: