[PD] mp3cast and icecast 2

Olaf Matthes olaf.matthes at gmx.de
Sun Dec 7 10:56:18 CET 2003

Yves Degoyon wrote:

> hi,
>
> hum, i'm reading this back again,
> and this question seems now weird
> for i think icecast2 _DO_ _NOT_ support
> mp3 streams i think.
>
> well, anyone, correct me if i'm wrong.

It does accept mp3 streams. I tried with the icy-login scheme (usually
used with SHOUTcast server) and it worked after a small modification:
Icecast2 does not send a response to the source client in case the
connection succeeded. SHOUTcast and Icecast 1.x do so. mp3cast~ and
shoutcast~ externals check this response, otherwise they say 'login
failed'. So the solution is to remove the lines from the code and
recompile. - On the other hand, libshout2 provides code to check the
servers response, so maye this response is just missing in current
Icecast2 releases (I tried with beta2).
BTW, the HTTP Base Auth login scheme used with Icecast2 for Ogg/Vorbis
streams also supports mp3 but I couldn't figure out how to get it
working. Using icy-login does not support mountpoints which is bad in
many cases...

Olaf