[PD] Linux newbie, alsa problems

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Dec 10 18:14:48 CET 2003

Hallo,
David NG McCallum hat gesagt: // David NG McCallum wrote:

> Is the -alsa flag only for pre .37 versions of Pd?

No, -alsa is in for several versions.

> Trying -alsa just spits out all the possible flags and doesn't actually
> run Pd (kind of like doing ./pd -?)

This looks like -alsa is missing from your version of Pd. Does
 $ ldd /usr/bin/pd
include something like:
 libasound.so.2 => /usr/lib/libasound.so.2 (0x4002d000)
?
Do you run the official version from Miller's site or the CVS version?
I'm not sure, if ALSA is still enable in Pd-MSP. I run the CVS
version almost everytime.

It might also be, that although you did provide --enable-alsa to
configure, it didn't get found. Maybe you don't have the header files
for libasound installed. They normally come with a package ending in
"-dev" or "-devel" and include above all the directory
/usr/include/alsa/

ciao