[PD] pd&debian&lowlatency&alsa&hdsp

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Dec 10 18:22:20 CET 2003

Hallo,
plessas at sbox.tugraz.at hat gesagt: // plessas at sbox.tugraz.at wrote:

> trying to build a low-latency kernel on debian for use with pd 0.37 and alsa and
> an Rme HDSP card. I read a lot about different patches one can apply, but most
> information about those is from 2000/01 when 2.2 and 2.4 kernels were new and
> shiny.
> Has anyone had success doing this so far, and with wich patches on wich kernels,
> and how low is the resulting latency you get?

Building a LL patched kernel (2.4) is easy on Debian. Just install
these patch packages:

$ apt-get install kernel-patch-2.4-lowlatency kernel-patch-2.4-preempt

Then use make-kpkg to build your custom kernel like:

$ make-kpkg --added-patches lowlatency,preempt kernel_image modules_image

Voila.

I didn't run any benchmarks, but without these patches you'll feel
miserable.

For Jack you also want the tiny capabilites patch, that is normally
done by hand as described on jackit.sf.net or in the jackd Debian
package README.

ciao