[PD] nForce chipset

Marc Lavallée odradek at videotron.ca
Fri Dec 12 17:30:15 CET 2003

On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 01:20:08PM +0100, Malte Steiner wrote:
> beside me is a box from Shuttle with a nForce chipset. It features
> somehow 5.1 sound and I wounder if its possible to use these channel as
> actual ones from PD, either under Linux or WinXP. So far I can only use
> 2 channels with PD.

"somehow 5.1 sound" is also called "Dolby Surround (R)". The nForce sound
chipset has SPDIF in/out jacks for 5.1. Only pre-mastered 5.1 streams can
be played via the SPDIF out jack to a proprietary decoder. Encoding is
also proprietary.

So if you want multi-channel sound, you need a multi-channel card with
good drivers and no restrictions on the software and formats.

--
Marc