[PD] nForce chipset

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Fri Dec 12 17:55:37 CET 2003

> "somehow 5.1 sound" is also called "Dolby Surround (R)". The nForce sound
> chipset has SPDIF in/out jacks for 5.1. Only pre-mastered 5.1 streams can
> be played via the SPDIF out jack to a proprietary decoder. Encoding is
> also proprietary.

maybe an idea for an external, 6 inputs, creating that stream and
sending it to the card to let it disassemble and send it to the 6
outputs. 2 Cons: - might involve some patents of dolby labs and so costs
a fee
- that stream typical is lossy encoded as AC3 so the musical data is
changed which is to avoid. I don't know if there is a layer above or
below to speak direct to the card but I guess this stream is sent to a
decoder chip and than direct to the dacs.

An xbox is a cool idea although I wanted to give as few as possible
money to M$. But I will think about it...

Cheers,

Malte

--
Malte Steiner
media art + development

next events
Elektronengehirn:
13.October - ... exhibition netart Javamuseum.org online, germanfeature
24.November - ... netart slowtime
http://www.le-musee-divisioniste.org/mediacentre/

Das Kombinat:
27.December Video presentation Ausklangfestival Hoerbar Hamburg, Germany