[PD] So, what do you us this for?

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Sat Dec 13 13:12:35 CET 2003

Hello,

apart from creating media art which not seems interesting for you, I
recently start to use PD as a modular effectbox. Having a meanwhile old
laptop with an USB audiobox with no task I integrated it in my studio
the oldschool analog way like you would integrate other synths and
effects. I started to develop several basic blocks for processing which
can be easily connected, the biggest task was to store settings AT LEAST
one per patch. I did an abstraction but maybe another approach is more
common, maybe someone an idea?
I ever wanted to have an Eventide box but now I got something simular
and when you look at their editors its actually the same thing. I got
real big fun with pitchshifters connected to lfos, another delays and
feedbacks. I plan to put the modules online because I believe its a good
way to reuse your old computers.
You can even create something like a Roland V-Synth when you look on the
FFT tutorials and combine it with filters and resonators.

In an artist-in-residency I implemented some synthesis technics, maybe
you look at

http://access.lowtech.org/e-gehirn/workshop.html

it shouldnt be so difficult to implement midi. Currently these patches
where used on old pcs connected over ethernet. Every instrument is
controlled by a stepsequencer, synced by a masterclock broadcasted over
the network.

Cheers,

Malte

--
Malte Steiner
media art + development

next events
Elektronengehirn:
13.October - ... exhibition netart Javamuseum.org online, germanfeature
24.November - ... netart slowtime
http://www.le-musee-divisioniste.org/mediacentre/

Das Kombinat:
27.December Video presentation Ausklangfestival Hoerbar Hamburg, Germany