[PD] nForce chipset

Malte Steiner steiner at block4.com
Sun Dec 14 15:46:34 CET 2003

Pixelcorrection at wmconnect.com wrote:

> how much video ram do those nForce, G-box, bare-bones PC's have? at
> under $300 for a P4 they are the hottest deal on the market.

These barbones are for AMD cpus. As the name says, you have to throw in
at least a CDRom, Harddisk, CPU and Memory. Preinstalled in the Shuttle
SN41G2 is onboard sound,graphics, LAN, Firewire and USB (you see, these
Barbones comes all from mainboard companys like Shuttle, Asus etc.). The
grafics ,featuring a dual vga and one video output (mirroring on of the
2 vgas), runs with shared memory. For intense 3d Gameplay it might suck
but for video processing and GEM OpenGL it seems to be ok. I installed
512mb and gave them 128mb.
Installing Windows was ok, Mandrake Linux 9.2 so far too. A bit of
hassle was getting the onboard LAN to run but it can be done (you need
to get the Kernel sources which are not on the downloadable Mandrake
CDs, get NVidia drivers and just type 'make' and 'make install'.)

A cheaper solution is a modified XBox running Linux but this has to be
investigated.

Cheers,

Malte

--
Malte Steiner
media art + development

next events
Elektronengehirn:
13.October - ... exhibition netart Javamuseum.org online, germanfeature
24.November - ... netart slowtime
http://www.le-musee-divisioniste.org/mediacentre/

Das Kombinat:
27.December Video presentation Ausklangfestival Hoerbar Hamburg, Germany