[PD] (Facts Please !) a mac or pc with Linux for PD

CK x at meta.lo-res.org
Sun Dec 14 16:25:28 CET 2003

I read:
> Well, if you're going to use Linux, buy a PC. Installing Linux on a Mac
> these days is a bit redundant seeing as MacOSX is *ix based.

what? you must be using windows then.

and the orginal question:
> > i do not want to unleash a sterile discussion about mac anc pc !
> > I just would like to know what king of hardware should i buy to install
> > Linux on a laptop and run PD ?

linux will be easier to get running on a pc, the pc will likely be
cheaper for the same cpu power, a lot of programs have intel assembly
optimizations but not altivec.

I happily run debian on my powerbook (and don't even ever boot into osx)
all the powersaving/sleep stuff works amazingly well (a total mess on my
vaio f.i.) just make sure you get an ati based one. Battery life is very
acceptable (again probably 3 minutes on my vaio) and of course linux runs
a lot faster than osx.

> > In terms of performance/price what should i buy a mac or pc ?

if performance/price ratio is your top concern get a pc

regards,

chris at lo-res.org	Postmodernism is german romanticism with better
http://pilot.fm/	special effects. (Jeff Keuss / via ctheory.com)