[PD] (Facts Please !) a mac or pc with Linux for PD

shreeswifty bigswift at ufl.edu
Sun Dec 14 17:31:31 CET 2003

I run Linux redhat7.3 on my vaio, it took quite some tinkering to get
everything to work.
but fancy pre-compiled nando (planet ccrma helped alot.), but i ended up
with a custom private kernel with several patches. I still cannot gain full
functionality from my 2|6 soundcard in any platform with pd -Linux or not.
The portaudio asio still only allows matching ins/outs. Alsa allowed me to
use my MIdiMan2x2 after more fussing.

OSX on the other hand found everything and I am slowly crossing APPS that
were "Only Linux" rather quickly these days
PowerPV, PVNation, Cecilia,Amber,PVC,STK,csound, etc..all work in oSX with
the same speed
pd-GEM on OSX is pretty darn cool too, while pd-Gem linux has always been a
little shakey.
Not too mention Video Editing
There is no real workable free Linux video editor IMHO
Cinelerra & Broadcast are a maze.
Main Actor is just a damn rip off and a bunch of thieves.
OSX comes with iMovie
yet i digress

The main thing you want with a machine is what you want with anything
really. in my opinion - Full Functionality. Right now that seems to be OS X.

Pat