[PD] (Facts Please !) a mac or pc with Linux for PD

cgc cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Sun Dec 14 23:42:56 CET 2003

> > They have this interesting write up about apple too ;)
> > http://www.jahshaka.com/news/appled.html
>
> If this is true, then it shows how Apple is keeping artists captive by
> controlling vertical markets. Apple is basically a design company doing
> hardware/software integration, with a "cool" monopolistic attitude.
> If
> Jahshaka gets popular enough, they'll eventually cooperate. :-)

Just to counter this, Apple have been very responsive with me in their
support of my queries related to GEM development (yes, they know about
it) and they have given me free tech support service reserved for paid
developers without my asking for it.  Other companies like ATI have
been equally helpful in fixing bugs in their hardware implementation.
I've never once thought that they were 'keeping artists captive' or run
into 'a "cool" monopolistic attitude' (those are absurd
characterizations you haven't backed up with a shred of fact btw).

After reading that jahshaka page I get the feeling that the entire
story isn't being told and perhaps they fellow was really fishing for a
free paid developer account because why else would he call about one?
They are quite simple to set up online, and Apple offers a free one
that give you access to all the development tools.  The two final
paragraphs throw credibility out the window completely.  I mean really:
' free [Apple users] from the Tyranny of Evil Men and Software
Dictatorships' is right out of the ranting of the most fervent
ideologue.  I was actually going to look into the possibility of
working on the Jahshaka project, but that rant has made me strongly
consider avoiding these people.

cgc