[OT] [PD] (Facts Please !) a mac or pc with Linux for PD

Matthew Allen matthew at lith.com
Mon Dec 15 18:44:19 CET 2003

	I moved straight to debian (I had a 1/2 day planet ccrma detour)
from win2k about a month ago. I didn't necessarily fall off a cliff, but
sometimes I feel like I'm rolling down one very quickly.

	I would suggest using some short cuts. I originally installed 3.01
(woody release 1) and tried to recompile the kernel with alsa support. I
read docs as literature, I figured it was no problem. 2 days later I was
downloading the Demudi packages from the Agnula project. This worked great
for a couple of weekends, but I figured I would do an upgrade to get v .37
from CVS. The machine upgrade killed my system (I think it fried LILO) so I
spent most of this weekend re-installing stuff. 2 things I took away from
this as a linux newbie.

1. always have a boot floopy handy
2. if you have old obscure hardware that X cares about (mouse, keyboard
monitor/ Video card) and you spend 4 or 5 days building a usable XF86 config
file, you should maybe copy that little old text file to a floppy, or maybe
send a mail with it as the body of the message. That way when the apt-get
dist-upgrade fries say, LILO you can then just quickly re-install stuff and
copy over you X window config file, instead of spending another day tracking
down your 12 year old monitor's specs.