[PD] Pd: system call timed out

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Dec 16 03:31:23 CET 2003

Hi,

I have a strange thing going on with my Pd recently.

Each time I start Pd, be it the one from the Debian package from
experimental or one, I compiled from the CVS, Pd seems to hang for
some seconds after configuring the midi devices.

$ pd
couldn't open MIDI input device -1
couldn't open MIDI output device -1
opened 0 MIDI input device(s) and 0 MIDI output device(s).

--- here it hangs for rather long, then goes on like this:

Pd: system call timed out

before it starts up normal.  Afterwards, sound is working fine, be it
with OSS or ALSA. The temporary hangs could be related to some Jack
stuff, because when I start a jackd and open up "pd -jack", it's there
immediatly.

Could I do something about it? I normally use Pd without jack, but
sometimes also with.

ciao