[PD] (OT) Terminal OSX Stuff

Nick Morrison nickm at internode.com.au
Wed Dec 17 07:23:01 CET 2003

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 10:09:54PM -0500, Patrick Pagano said:
> hi
>
> i am hoping there are a few OS X users on this list that might be able
> to help me with one annoying thing
> that i can't seem to track down.
> When i run terminal
>
> i have
>
> [patrickp at Patrick-Paganos-Computer patrickp]$
>

> which is like 3/4 of the way across terminal so i am incessantly
> resizing
> Does anyone know how to get rid of this and just have a prompt?
> I looked all over but can't seem to nip it.
>

> thanks in advance and sorry for the OT

You'll probably need to set your "PROMPT" or "PROMPT1" environment
variable.  This depends on your shell - it's possibly tcsh, cuz osx is
freebsd-based (a wild guess), in which case putting something like:

 set prompt = '%n %B%/%b %# '

in .tcshrc in your home directory will make you happier.

Nick!

Nick Morrison : nickm at internode.com.au
Internode : http://www.internode.on.net/

Proud to be the Major Sponsor of the Adelaide Fringe 2004