pd-render object WAS: Re: [PD] xp4pd - extreme programming over the network

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Dec 17 18:29:02 CET 2003

On Wednesday, Dec 17, 2003, at 16:04 Europe/Brussels, guenter geiger
wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> On Wednesday, Dec 17, 2003, at 14:20 Europe/Brussels, guenter geiger
>> wrote:

>>> I planned porting at least parts of PD to another GUI toolkit over
>>> x-mas,
>>> because tcl/tk is too slow for PDa.
>>> I hoped it could be of use for the "normal" version too. Of course
>>> making
>>> tcl/tk scripting work with that is not that easily possible :(
>>
>> Hmm, maybe you could as tigital is doing and make Tcl/Tk fast on the
>> PDA.  But I have no real idea of what that would entail.  It is
>> relatively straightforward for MacOS X, the changes are not throughout
>> Tcl.
>
> Yes, this would be a possibility. My understanding is though that
> tcl/tk
> uses float as internal datatype, then I would end up haveing to change
> too much for a simple christmas holiday task.
>
> I am also envisioning a extension of pd towards vector graphics, ala
> xgui but internally, this would make it possible to nicely seperate
> engine and GUI, because the drawings are not tcl commands anymore, but
> messages to a "pd-render" object.
>
> Well, thats all theory, I do not know how far I will get with that.

Ok, that sounds like a very cool idea, I am all for making as much of
Pd be 'Pure Data' as possible.  By making more of the GUI in the realm
of Pd messages, then it would allow [widget]-like functionality with
native Pd msgs, while being GUI toolkit agnostic.  But that is also
probably not a holiday task.

.hc

> Guenter
>
>> .hc
>>
>>> Guenter

>> __
>> ____
>>
>> Man has survived hitherto because he was too ignorant to know how to
>> realize his wishes.
>> Now that he can realize them, he must either change them, or perish.
>> 		                                     -William Carlos Williams

____

Using ReBirth is like trying to play an 808 with a long stick.
								-David Zicarelli