[PD] xp4pd - extreme programming over the network

Josh Steiner josh at vitriolix.com
Wed Dec 17 23:57:09 CET 2003

i believe he was just making shorthand references to one of the bigger,
more radical aspects of XP that sets it apart:

http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/whatisxp.htm#pair

      Pair Programming

All production software in XP is built by two programmers, sitting side
by side, at the same machine. This practice ensures that all production
code is reviewed by at least one other programmer, and results in better
design, better testing, and better code.

It may seem inefficient to have two programmers doing "one programmer's
job", but the reverse is true. Research into pair programming
<http://www.pairprogramming.com> shows that pairing produces better code
in about the same time as programmers working singly. That's right: two
heads really are better than one!

Some programmers object to pair programming without ever trying it. It
does take some practice to do well, and you need to do it well for a few
weeks to see the results. Ninety percent of programmers who learn pair
programming prefer it, so we highly recommend it to all teams.

Pairing, in addition to providing better code and tests, also serves to
communicate knowledge throughout the team. As pairs switch, everyone
gets the benefits of everyone's specialized knowledge. Programmers
learn, their skills improve, they become move valuable to the team and
to the company. Pairing, even on its own outside of XP, is a big win for
everyone.