[PD] imagemagick --enable shared

Yves Degoyon ydegoyon at free.fr
Thu Dec 18 01:00:16 CET 2003

hi,

maybe Rob could answer better than me, BUT ...
some little remarks below :

sara kolster wrote:

> [...]
>
> ibtool: install: warning: relinking `libMagick++.la'
>
> *** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lstdc++.
> *** you link to this library. But I can only do this if you have a
> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
> *** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
> *** with libstdc++ and none of the candidates passed a file format test
> *** using a file magic. Last file checked:
> /usr/lib//gcc/darwin/default/libstdc++.a
>
> *** Warning: linker path does not have real file for library -lgcc.
> *** I have the capability to make that library automatically link in when
> *** you link to this library. But I can only do this if you have a
> *** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have
> *** because I did check the linker path looking for a file starting
> *** with libgcc and none of the candidates passed a file format test
> *** using a file magic. Last file checked:
> /usr/lib//gcc/darwin/default/libgcc.a
> *** The inter-library dependencies that have been dropped here will be
> *** automatically added whenever a program is linked with this library
> *** or is declared to -dlopen it.
> g++ -r -Wl,-bind_at_load -keep_private_externs -nostdlib -o
> .libs/libMagick++-5.5.6-Q16.0.0.0.dylib-master.o .libs/Blob.o
> .libs/BlobRef.o .libs/CoderInfo.o .libs/Color.o .libs/Drawable.o
> .libs/Exception.o .libs/Functions.o .libs/Geometry.o .libs/Image.o
> .libs/ImageRef.o .libs/Montage.o .libs/Options.o .libs/Pixels.o
> .libs/STL.o .libs/Thread.o .libs/TypeMetric.o && g++ -dynamiclib
> -flat_namespace -undefined suppress -o
> .libs/libMagick++-5.5.6-Q16.0.0.0.dylib
> .libs/libMagick++-5.5.6-Q16.0.0.0.dylib-master.o -L/sw/lib
> -L/usr/X11R6/lib /sw/lib/libMagick.dylib -L/usr/lib/gcc/darwin/3.3
> -L/usr/lib/gcc/darwin -L/usr/libexec/gcc/darwin/ppc/3.3/../../..
> -lSystem -install_name /sw/lib/libMagick++-5.5.6-Q16.0.dylib
> -compatibility_version 1 -current_version 1.0
> g++: /sw/lib/libMagick.dylib: No such file or directory
> libtool: install: error: relink `libMagick++.la' with the above
> command before installing it
> make[4]: *** [install-libLTLIBRARIES] Error 1
> make[3]: *** [install-am] Error 2
> make[2]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
> ### execution of make failed, exit code 2
> Failed: installing imagemagick-5.5.6-12 failed
> [okaras:/sw] sara# pico
> /sw/fink/10.2-gcc3.3/unstable/main/finkinfo/graphics/imagemagick-5.5.6-12.info
>

> I think there's something wrong with the way the libs are linked. [or
> unable to link] and i found the following lines in the FAQ of gcc:
>

> Dynamic linker is unable to find GCC libraries
>
> This problem manifests itself by programs not finding shared libraries
> they depend on when the programs are started. Note this problem often
> manifests itself with failures in the libio/libstdc++ tests after
> configuring with |--enable-shared| and building GCC

so, they basically, "hum, this problem happens, that's interesting",
but don't they give a way to fix it ??

> [http://www.gnu.org/software/gcc/faq.html#rpath]
>
> As a reaction on the Finklist i got the following answer:
>
>> As you've discovered, ImageMagick has trouble building shared libraries
>> on Darwin/OS X. That's exactly why the package maintainer did *not*
>> choose to include the --enable-shared flag in the .info file.

they also do this for Linux and there's absolutely no reason for that.
considering that Rob managed to do that compilation on OSX,
it seems to be a wrong choice on their side.

good luck,
sevy